Friday, July 6, 2012

A Great Gulf Fixed Between Her And The World - Charles Spurgeon

When I heard of a lady who had put on Christ by baptism, that the cold shoulder was given her in all the circles in which she moved; did I, think you, feel more disposed to console or to congratulate? It was said that now she had but few invitations to such places and such society as she had previously frequented; and I rejoiced, and thanked God for it. I was glad of it, for I felt she was farther removed from temptation.

 

 When I heard of a young man that, after he joined the church, those in his workshop met him at once with loud laughter and reproached him with bitter scorn. I was thankful, because now he could not take up the same position with themselves. He was a marked man: they who knew him discovered that there was such a thing as Christianity, and such a one as an earnest defender of it.

 

It is no evil to the church, depend upon it, to have a great gulf fixed between her and the world.  

 

From a sermon by Charles Haddon Spurgeon entitled "Prosperity Under Persecution."  Charles Spurgeon 1834-1892

No comments:

Post a Comment